Pura Vida Culture

follow-the-sun

Aquaponics

Backyard Garden Update

I shot the following video this morning from our Backyard. We have been crafting around in our spare time working on the aquaponics garden, finishing up the new chicken coop ad-on as well as building a new rabbit hutch for Dexter, our newest family member.

I am excited to report that all of our gardens are doing rather well. I am sure that most of this has to do with the fact that the sun has actually been out quite a bit more this summer than the past few. The mild Southern California Coastal temperature also gives the plants the ability to thrive. The fish have been doing well also, we should have a few ready for some fish tacos in the next couple of weeks.

The following video was taken a couple of weeks a go during feeding time:

You can see that they have no problem eating, I call them our “little piggies” when Eli and I feed them together. I have been feeding these larger Tilapia a home made food mixture of 3 parts Trout Chow, 2 parts Hemp Seed, and 1 part flax seed. I leave 75% percent of the trout chow whole, and grind the other 25% for the smaller feeders. The hemp seed and the flax seed I chop up in the coffee grinder to a rough powder, this way the fish are able to break it down in their stomach. We also give them a feeding of the duck weed once a day and chicken crumble once a week for a little extra protein.

Related Posts

3 Comments

  1. Cymbidium Orchids in San Diego, California | Pura Vida CultureNovember 20, 2011 at 1:44 pm

    […] orchids make a wonderful addition to our to our backyard aquaponics garden that is continuing to thrive with tomatoes, strawberries, celery and a handful of green and […]

  2. Harvest Time Tilapia Fish Fry With Friends in San Diego | Pura Vida CultureDecember 4, 2011 at 7:26 am

    […] have been very blessed with our aquaponics system and the continued growth of the fish and the vegetables even through this cooler fall season. One […]

  3. Harvest Time Fish Fry | Urban Fish FarmerJanuary 4, 2012 at 8:44 am

    […] have been very blessed with our aquaponics system and the continued growth of the fish and the vegetables even through this cooler fall season. One […]

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

Family Videos

Home Gardening & Lifestyle